Navajo Indian Fry Bread
From Jim Brickman Beautiful World Cookbook – Page 108
The first Thanksgiving began with Pilgrims and Native Americans. So how about surprising your guests with Navajo Indian Fry Bread, a favorite Navajo Indian dish. I love American history and this Fry Bread carries a good story! Like so many of our time-honored dishes, traditional fry bread links generations and connects the Native American heritage to the present.
I first had Fry Bread when I was performing at a state fair out west. I didn’t realize it was a Native American dish when I first tasted it. The one I ate was drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. It wasn’t until several years later when we received this recipe for Navajo Indian Fry Bread from Teri Jones that I knew you could make a whole meal of this by adding meat and toppings. So, you see it can be a main dish or a dessert. It’s really pretty easy and fun to serve.
This is a traditional recipe from the Navajo Indian tribe in Arizona.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Native American Indian Fry Bread recipe from the Beautiful World cookbook. The book is filled with wonderful All-American and International recipes submitted by my friends across the country and around the world..
Note: Your family will love these and ask for them often. These are fairly inexpensive and quick to prepare. – Teri Jones, Arizona
3 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Powdered Milk
1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
1 Inch Cooking Oil in Large Pot
Taco Seasoning Packet
Any other toppings you’d like!
- Put all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Add the warm water and mix until the dough forms a nice ball.
- Flour your hands and pinch off a piece of the dough (a little smaller than a tennis ball)
- Pat out your hands to form a thick tortilla shape.
- Place each on a floured plate.
- Heat oil until hot enough to deep fry.
- Place the breads carefully in the oil, two or three at a time.
- Fry on each side until puffy and golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel lined try.
While the first few breads are frying up:
- Crumble the hamburger meat into a skillet and fry until browned.
- Add refried beans and a packet of taco seasoning.
- Mix together and heat until warmed.
- Spread the mixture and any desired toppings on to the fry bread.
Looking for more great recipes?
The cookbook Beautiful World by Jim Brickman and friends
blends international cuisine and all-American home cooking.
Magic of Christmas is filled with delicious cookies and more