Lucky Lentil Soup
From Beautiful World- Page 24
We are all searching for that lucky charm to bring us good fortune in the New Year…. and I discovered Lentil Soup. Well, let me back up a little. While superstitiously positioning myself for prosperity, long life and the best possible year, I learned that good luck traditions vary by culture – most revolving around food!
Fish is suppose to bring wealth and prosperity in many cultures. Think about the shiny, silver skin!
Eating 12 grapes at midnight for 12 good months is customary in Cuba, Spain and Portugal. Make a wish with each grape. It’s not as easy as it sounds!
Try round foods for breakfast – donuts, bagels, and pancake to signify the year coming full circle.
Nuts are a symbol of new life.
Lentils look like tiny coins and can bring wealth and prosperity Plus lentil plump up when they are cooked. Picture growing wealth!
Click here for some other good luck foods i found.
Lentil soup is the perfect winter soup. Thick, hearty and filled with good luck!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for German Lentil Soup from the Beautiful World cookbook. The book is a blend of international cuisine and all American home cooking. Recipes are submitted by my friends across the country and around the world..
This is my Grandmother’s recipe. I remember helping her make it as a child. It is great on a cold winter day.
Linda Wittmann, Nebraska
4 Slices Bacon
2 Medium Onions, sliced
2 Medium Carrots, sliced
1 Cup Celery, sliced
1 Ham Bone
1 (16 oz.) Pkg. Lentils
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
3 Medium Potatoes, diced
2 T. Sugar
8 Cups Water
- Fry bacon until lightly browned in a Dutch oven or other large, heavy kettle, over medium high heat, push to the side.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook until onions are tender (about 5 minutes)
- Add ham bone, lentils, potatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and 8 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Remove ham bone to cutting board. Cut off any meat and stir meat into the soup.Makes 11 cups or 6 servings
Looking for more great recipes?
The cookbook Beautiful World by Jim Brickman and friends
blends international cuisine and all-American home cooking.
Magic of Christmas is filled with delicious cookies and more