From Jim Brickman Beautiful World Cookbook
I look forward to the Fall farm stands because winter squash is abundant. I eat all kinds of squash, but I have to say my favorite is butternut squash. It has a musky but sweet flavor similar to pumpkin.
I love it prepared very simply by cubing and roasting with some brown sugar or maple syrup. But a real treat is in soup or bisque.
I hope you enjoy this Apple Butternut Bisque from the Beautiful World cookbook. Its filled with wonderful All-American and International recipes submitted by my friends across the country and around the world..
Apple Butternut Bisque
“I created this recipe on my own for a contest that a farm stand in my town was having. The contest was to submit your best recipe made with applesauce.There were two categories; sweet and savory. I won the savory category and then the overall contest with this recipe. It is truly an American recipe.”
Jennie Pelletier, Massachusetts
2 Small Butternut Squash 1/2 Cup Light Cream
1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
2/3 Cup Applesauce Dash Ground Black Pepper
1 Cup Chicken Stock
- Peel and cook the butternut squash. (I steam it)
- Place cooked butternut squash in food processor with maple syrup and process until mixed.
- Add applesauce, chicken stock and cream and process until smooth and creamy.
- If necessary, add more stock and / or cream until a thick creamy soup consistency is reached.
- Stir in nutmeg and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a dash of nutmeg before serving.
Looking for more great recipes?
The cookbook Beautiful World by Jim Brickman and friends
blends international cuisine and all-American home cooking.
Magic of Christmas is filled with delicious cookies and more